Sunday, May 23

Writer's Block...

Is there a writer out there that hasn't wrestled with the demon known as "Writer's Block"? When your muse is out playing, how do you overcome such a daunting task?

Early in my writing career I'd slam head first into that concrete wall. Sometimes I'd learn to out smart it (momentarily), but most often I'd just ditch my manuscript for a new "fresh" idea. I never really grasped the reason I continued to get Writer's Block.

Obviously a writer can never ditch this demon for good. She'll always be lurking, waiting for you to miss a step, and attack just as your confidence is growing.

At least that's how it's been for me.

But - thankfully - I've learned several tricks that can keep her deep in the shadows where she belongs. And, on those few occasions when she does show her depressing head, I've learned a few tips to send her howling back in the corners.

I'll share what I've learned. Every writer is different. Some of this tips may help you, some may not. Hell, none may help you. But, hopefully at the very least, it'll spark something in your mind that will help you battle your own Writer's Block Demon...


Quick Tips:

1.) Read the paragraph leading up to you're blockage out loud. Sometimes it's a simple thing that your brain is telling you isn't right. Once you make this simple fix, things will continue smoothly afterwards.

2.) PLOT, PLOT, PLOT - Be prepared.
I'm sure this goes without saying. But since I taught myself (mainly through trail and error) the craft of writing, it took me a good little while to figure out that most of my "Blocks" came from a major lapse in Plot. It was either missing something or had something that didn't fit. Either way, since I've learned (still learning, as well) the art of Plotting... my own personal WBD shows her head less and less.

3.) Resort to old school writing: a piece of paper and a pencil.
Since a simple piece of paper and a pencil is how I began writing (before the dawn of computers) I sometimes find that is where I'm at my most creative. When I've hit a creative Block you can always find me with a notebook and a half-chewed pencil.

4.) Sleep on it.
If all else fails... your plot is strong and your creativity is spot on, and you still can't seem to get past that tumble of dialogue or action to move your manuscript forward. Give your self time to "not" think about it. More then once I've been in the middle of breakfast and had to scramble for my ever-ready pencil and notepad to write down the "solution". Or I've been laid down in bed, ready to call it a night and sit straight up in bed cause the "solution" came to me. Once you give your mind permission to not think about it, sometimes that's when the solution will come.

No comments: