Tuesday, May 25

Keeping Motivated in the Shadow of Greatness....


Keeping motivated after seeing tons of great books, by even greater authors, come out seems to be one of my biggest challenges. The covers are sexy, their words brilliant, and here I am editing what - I'm sure in other peoples mind - would amount to a comment of "you want to be a writer?" followed by disguised snickers.

*sigh*

Not to mention summer vacation is officially here... which is great for the camping trips and family fun we have planned, but what does that mean for my writing.

Yep, you guessed it. Havoc and chaos.

So how do you do it? How do you stay motivated in the shadow of greatness? Or in the bright light of being a mother and writer? When you're a perfectionist, at that? Which I am... :( What prompts you to keep writing when you already have tons of discarded manuscripts saved on files, in notebooks, and scattered around your house?


It's not easy, I can tell you that. There are moments when I truly think to myself, "Am I nuts? Do I really believe I can write something that someone other then family or friends will want to read?" Those thoughts are usually followed by more positive thoughts.

Though sometimes it may take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours. Generally about the time I start actually "seeing" myself not writing. Not planning a story. Not thinking and plotting and developing.

Then it dawns on me. I can't not be a writer. I don't know how. I breathe, therefore I write. Or plan. Or plot. Or develop.

And the crazy thing about it all? When I pick up a book and start reading, especially great books that keep my nose in them from beginning to end, I start to get excited about getting back to my WIP's. They motivate me to try harder.

So, in a sense, what terrifies me also motivates me.

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Do you suffer from moments of doubt? What prompts your doubts? How to you get past them?

2 comments:

Critique_This_WIP said...

Everyone suffers these doubts. The thing you have to remember is that all these published writers are just like you. They write one word at a time. Then critique partners/groups, editors, proofreaders, beta readers, etc. get their hands on your work, and make it better. The story is YOURS but everyone needs a little help. ;)
Don't let it get you down!

Critique_This_WIP said...

Sometimes it takes a while to find the right "fit" with crit groups/partners. In a crazy kind of way, they are like marriages--they have to be perfectly in sync with each other to work.

Our romance crit group, CritiqueThis has openings if you are interested in trying us out. We're holding a contest to find people that match our writing styles. If you'd like to check us out, here's the address http://critiquethiswip.blogspot.com/2010/05/critique-group-contest-we-need-you.html

Hope to see you there =)